Wednesday, July 2, 2014

summer squash series {1- squash bake}

Summers in ENC are spent eating fresh veggies from everyone's garden.  I feel like we will never have to have a garden because of the things that we get from our family and friends.  Squash is a staple at our house in the summer.  There are a million ways to cook it.  Over the next few days, I will share a few of our favorite ways.

Squash Bake

This is a twist on something similar to a dish Ryan ate when he was younger.  I am sure it not exactly like his Mom and Grandma use to make it.  He loves it though so I keep cooking it.

Ingredients
At least 4 medium squash
1 medium onion sliced
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Instructions
-  Throw sliced squash in a baking dish.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
-  Top squash with a layer of sliced onion.
-  Pour the stewed tomatoes over the squash and onions.  I like to run my stewed tomatoes through the food processor or blender to break up the really big tomatoes.  
-  Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
-  Cover and bake on 350 for 30 minutes.
-  Uncover and bake or broil until cheese is bubbly.

No comments: